14.4.05

 

mlk

last week i read the third and final part of 'king', a comic book biography of martin luther king jr by the (radically named!) ho che anderson (fantagraphics). the third part tells the story of mlk taking his struggle to the urban slums of the north of the usa, his efforts to keep the civil rights movement non-violent, and his murder. all the speech balloons are different colours for different characters, with king's words always in blue. it's a really good comic, and a very humanizing way to tell someone's story in their own, and fictionalized, words.

"Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get will get to the promised land!

And so I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man! Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!"

this famous, tragically prophetic speech concludes the penultimate chapter, before the final one, named "the lorraine motel" for the site of his death.

without his legacy, protestant christianity wld have a lot more to answer for...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?